HERE’S A HODGE-PODGE of figures and statistics from various research and survey groups†about the Internet’s penetration in the Philippines as of end of 2008:
- About 27% of PH population (roughly 24 million) have access to the Internet
- 99% of active Internet users say they watch video clips on the Internet
- a little over 90% read blogs
- 83% are members of social networks
- 86% upload photos to social networking sites
- about 60% have Internet access at home
These are pretty amazing figures. †If these are an accurate measurement of Internet penetration in PH then the implication on business and information dissemination is huge.
These figures are also a big jump upwards from figures I’ve seen early in 2008. †If my memory serves me right the Internet penetration in PH as of first quarter 2008 is just about 16%.
On a personal note, these figures are very encouraging. †At the very least they are an assurance to me that my new found love of blogging is here to stay. †It also sort of validates my decision to go back into the realm of social networking through FaceBook.